We’ve been warned.
The Christian body in America is immersed in a crisis of biblical illiteracy.George Barna
Preachers, professors, and researchers have been alerting us to drastically low levels of Bible knowledge.
Americans revere the Bible — but, by and large, they don’t read it. And because they don’t read it, they have become a nation of biblical illiterates.Gallup
When new Bible literacy studies are announced, social media buzzes and sermons abound about the cause of this.
These days many of us don’t even know basic facts about the Bible.Kenneth Berding
Who’s to blame for this? Millennials? Gen Z? Generation X? How about those Boomers?
It’s obvious: We are living in a post-biblically literate culture.Ed Stetzer
Biblical illiteracy concerns me.
. . . Christian leaders have been lamenting the loss of general biblical literacy in America.David R. Nienhuis
But all the talk about biblical illiteracy troubles me more.
Biblical illiteracy is not a new problem.
Concerns about biblical illiteracy are not new to this generation — or the previous one. People have been sounding the alarm about biblical illiteracy for a very, very long time.
Before we can solve the biblical illiteracy problem, we need to understand what the problem is.
Perhaps surprisingly, the problem is more complex than you think.
That’s what this series is about.
A Serious Look at Biblical Literacy
1. The problem with the problem of biblical illiteracy
2. Biblical illiteracy in 2019
3. Biblical illiteracy in 2014
4. Biblical illiteracy in the 1990s and 2000s
5. Biblical illiteracy in the 1980s
6. Biblical illiteracy in the 1960s
7. Biblical illiteracy in the 1950s?
8. Biblical illiteracy in the 1940s and 1930s
9. Biblical illiteracy in 1915
10. Biblical illiteracy and the Second Great Awakening